Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A late start to blogging...

Where do I begin!  I've decided to take on a project.  One that is hopefully fun and awesome!  My mission, my goal:  build my personal home arcade cabinet.  I've been playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (SSFIV AE for short) on my PC for a couple of weeks and its brought back some nostalgia.

I remember playing Street Fighter II on the SNES, playing Street Fighter II in the arcades, World Heroes 2 Jet and Art of Fighter 2 on the NEO GEO, Mortal Kombat (never liked having a separate block button) in the arcades, Mortal Kombat 2 in the arcades (damn game was tough!), Killer Instincts (one of my favorite fighting games of all time) on the SNES, Killer Instincts 2 Gold Edition (I think they nerfed Orchid, she wasn't as fun to play with in the original) on the Nintendo 64, Samurai Showdown in the arcades, X-Men: Children of the Atom (the game was unbelievable to me) at an arcade in Six Flags Great Adventures, Street Fighter Alpha (first time I witnessed and couldn't believe Sagat's uppercut could hit me multiple times!) at an arcade in Six Flags Great Adventures, Marvel Super Heroes on the Playstation in my dorm room at Florida State University (FSU), X-Men vs Street Fighter on the Playstation in my off campus housing, Marvel vs Capcom at Swoozie's house in Orlando and finally, Marvel vs Capcom 2 (brought brand new for $20 bucks at the time) on the Dreamcast.

 I've always loved playing fighting games and decided now that I (sort of...) have the funds, why not build my own personal arcade unit to bring back a certain feel I had playing at arcades.  I've always looked at purchasing an arcade cabinet but never looked at the modes of transporting one and didn't really want to.  I was so happening to visit a forum called Shoryuken and happened to visit the Tech Talk section and landed on sub-forum about Vewlix cabinet clones created by Kray.  I thought I've hit the jackpot!

Not only did I not want to deal with any shipping costs for an arcade cabinet, I wasn't to enamored with their sizes and dimensions albeit I have a house and garage (so plenty of space).  I stumbled upon a forum (I don't remember) about new arcade cabinets that are popular in Japan and have a different size and look.  They were called candy cabinets and after a Google search, I knew that's what I would like to own.  Unfortunately, they were popular in Japan!  The arcade scene here is dead for the most part in America so I thought at that time there was going to be no way I could get an arcade like that.

I went through the Kray and Vewlix sub-forum looking at all of the Vewlix custom cabinets that were made and custom painted and thought...I MUST HAVE ONE!

So why is the title of this blog post called, "A late start to blogging".  You see, I've already started this fun project more than a week ago but just decided right now to capture all the efforts for creating this cabinet.  I  guess its better to start late then never!

No comments:

Post a Comment